www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Gawler Soldiers Memorial Roll of HonourPrint Page Print this page

22-May-2012 (Roger Johnson)
22-May-2012 (Roger Johnson)

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson / Chris McLaughlin

The honour roll commemorates those from Gawler who served in World War One.

The Gawler roll of honor was unveiled by Lady Butler in the Institute on the 5th July 1917 in the presence of a large audience. The roll contains over 400 names. Mr. A. H. Harris, vice-president of the institute was in the chair. Lady Butler, in unveiling the memorial, returned thanks to the donor (Mr.H.G Bischof) president of the institute. It is a strikingly executed work, and in its way, perhaps the finest work of its class in South Australia.
Chronicle (Adelaide) , 14th July 1917.

Location

Address:89 Murray Street, Foyer, Gawler Town Hall Building, Gawler, 5118
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.599428
Long: 138.749291
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Wunderlich Ltd.
Monument Manufacturer:Wunderlich Ltd

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 5th July, 1917
Front Inscription

Roll of Honor

1914  191

Lest We Forget

The Gawler men who answered the call

[ Names]

This memorial in honor of the Gawler soldiers who took part in "The Great War" was presented by H. Bischof Esq - of Spring Gully President of the Institute 1916 - 1917

(This tablet has been affixed by order of the Committee)

Source: MA,RVWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design