Richmond Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown / Richmond RSL

The hall commemorates those who served in World War One. It was opened on the 5th September 1922. 

The Earl of Stradbroke will lay the foundation stone of the Richmond Sailors and Soldiers' Memorial Hall, at the corner of Church and Charlotte streets, at 3 p.m. on Saturday. His Excellency will be met by a guard of honor formed from cadets from the Gipps street Drill Hall, and by 200 district boy scouts. He will be presented with a silver trowel (given by Mr J. B. Molyneux) by Mr H. F. Crisp, president of the Richmond branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers' Imperial League of Australia. Addresses will be given by the Governor, Brigadier-General Elliott. Mr Scullin, M.H.R., and Mr Cotter, M.L.A.
The Herald (Melbourne), 7 March 1922. 


Address:Church & Charlotte Streets, Richmond, 3121
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.824873
Long: 144.998158
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 11th March, 1922
Front Inscription


Richmond R. S. L.

Plaque :

This Memorial Hall was erected to commemorate those who served in the Great War

1914 - 1919.

"Lest We Forget"

This foundation stone was laid by His Excellency the Governor of Victoria the Earl of Stradbroke on 11th March 1922.


Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design