Christ Church War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Geoff Turner

The stone Celtic cross was erected in memory of World War One and those from the parish who died in service or were killed in action during the conflict. 

A congregation of over five hundred people took part last Sunday afternoon in a service at the unveiling and dedication of a War Memorial, in the grounds of Christ Church, Gosford, under perfect weather conditions. The Memorial took the form of a Keltic Wheel Cross, on three steps of Ravensfield stone. This is the form of Cross which Saints Aidrau, Columba, and Finbar so frequently set up in the north and west of Scotland, in Northumbria, and in Ireland, to stir up the devotion of the people. The stone in the steps comes from a quarry near Bishop's Bridge, a village not far from West Maitland — and much resembles the famous stone of which the city of Bath, in England, is built.

The Cross, and its base blocks, is cut out of trachyte — a more durable material (and more costly) than marble; the western face of the Cross and the face of the blocks being highly polished in low relief, while the rest is left in the natural state. It is an igneous rock, harder than granite. Messrs. Browne, who erected the stone, and cut the lettering, state that 24 letters, 3 per hour, is a full day 's work; the chiselling, in consequence, is beautifully sharp and clean, and will repay inspection. The chief components are felspar, biotite, augite, and hornblende; — grayish where natural, very dark where polished; geologically termed an Orthoclase Rock of the soda-potash series. There are 29 names on the east, south, and north faces.
The Gosford Times and Wyong District Advocate (NSW), 
2 September 1920.


Address:Mann Street, St Mary`s Anglican Church Grounds, Gosford, 2250
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.431725
Long: 151.341879
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Cross
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Messrs Browne


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th August, 1920
Front Inscription

And In Memory Of The 
1914 - 1919
Also Of Those Here Named
    Of Our Faith And
    Of This Parish
Who Gave Their Lives For Us.

Greater Love Hath No Man Than This.

Arthur Renwick, Rector 29th August 1920

Left Side Inscription
[ Names ]
Back Inscription
[ Names ]
Right Side Inscription
[ Names ]
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design