www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St James` Anglican ChurchPrint Page Print this page

25-April-2018
25-April-2018

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The church was erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The foundation stone was laid on the 29th April 1939 and was opened and dedicated on the 10th December 1939. 

Next Sunday will be a Red-Letter Day in the history of Cudgen Headland, when the new Anglican Church of St. James will be dedicated at 3 p.m., by the Right Reverend W. H. W. Stevenson, M.A., Bishop of Grafton. The Church, which is the gift of Mr. Walter Knight, of Upper Crystal Creek, and a memorial for men of the first A.I.F., is a beautiful building, acknowledged by all who have seen it as a striking example of country church architecture. The roof is of corrugated fibrolite with a central ventilator; the ceiling and inner walls above sill height are of fibrous plaster, the gothic arch over the Sanctuary being finished with a special moulding of the same material, with a key mould at the apex. Inside the Sanctuary the lower portion of the wall is of silky oak in a reredos effect. In the nave, below the sills, pine lining-boards are used. The furniture is of silky oak (with the exception of the pews, which are of pine). The altar, cross, vases, credence-bracket, Bishop's chair, communion-rail, Altar-book-rest, font, and lectern, all of which are uniform in design and color with the exception of the brass-ware, have been donated by various local people, and all will bear silver plates recording the names of their donors. Most appropriately, the foundation block was set seven months ago by a Digger— Mr. H. L. Anthony, M.H.R.— and the hope is expressed by the Rector (the Rev. W. Hopwood Evans) that many returned men will show their appreciation of the great generosity of their benefactor, Mr. Walter Knight, by forming a strong representative body at the dedication service next Sunday. The new church, which will also be the first public building to he erected in the township, marks an upward step in the progress of the Tweed River, and of the Parish of Tweed Head. 
Tweed Daily (Murwillumbah, NSW), 6 December 1939.

Location

Address:122 Marine Parade, Kingscliff, 2487
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.254289
Long: 153.574923
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Monument Manufacturer:Walter & William Knight

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 10th December, 1939
Front Inscription

Plaque :

      A. M. D. G.
This Church Was Built
To The Honour And Glory Of God
And To The Memory Of The Empire`s Fallen
By Walter & William Knight

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design