St John`s Memorial Choir VestryPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Moya Sherlock / Father Ted Doncaster

The vestry of the church commemorates those from the congregation who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.  It was designed by Messrs Eales and Cohen to match the remainder of the church which was built in 1879 and the contractor was A. James.  

Archbishop Riley dedicated the structure on 1st October 1922 and General Sir Talbot Hobbs unveiled the plaque in the presence of a contingent of members of the Royal Australian Naval Reserve as well as the Naval Reserve Band.

The new choir vestry, which has recently been erected by the parishioners of St John's Parish Church, Fremantle, to the memory of those members of the congregation who died on active service and which, together with a marble tablet recording the names of the fallen, was dedicated last Sunday evening by His Grace the archbishop, assisted by General Sir Talbot Hobbs. It takes the form of an extension in stone of the organ transept and clergy vestry on the north-east side of the chancel, and provides much needed additional accommodation for those engaged in the musical portion of the church services.  

Every care has been taken by those entrusted with the work in the endeavor to preserve both in outline and of construction the excellence of design and quality of workmanship, to be found in the church itself which, as may be remembered, was the work an eminent church architect who practised in London at the time the late Archdeacon Watkins built the manse. The new work has been successfully carried out by Mr. A. James as contractor from plans by and under the supervision of Messrs. Eales and Cohen. F.F.R.I.A. who were responsible also for the erection of the fine reredos in the chancel, and more recently the Moore Memorial Reredos in the south chapel. 
Sunday Times (Perth),  8 October 1922.



Address:Queen & Adelaide Streets, St John`s Church in the Square, Fremantle, 6160
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.05377
Long: 115.74831
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Religious Object
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Designer:Eales & Cohen
Monument Manufacturer:A. James


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st October, 1922
Front Inscription

Plaque :

To the glory of God

The Choir Vestry was erected A.D. 1922

In grateful memory of the men from this Parish who gave their lives for God and King and Country in the Great War.

1914 - 1919

"Their name liveth for evermore"

 [ Names ]

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design