Turriff & District PioneersPrint Page Print this page

15-March-2017 (Tim Fitzgerald)
15-March-2017 (Tim Fitzgerald)

Photographs supplied by Tim Fitzgerald / Sandra Brown

The pioneers wall lists the names of the pioneers of Turriff and District.

Turriff came about from the creation of a stopping place on the railway line (1903), initially named Gorya. The name was easily confused with another, and it was changed to Turriff in 1906; John Turriff was the manager at the Lake Coorong pastoral holding at Lascelles, to the south-west.

The settlement of Turriff was part of the clearing of the Mallee region for farm selections, mainly for wheat. A school was opened in 1908 and a town survey was made in 1911. There were also schools at Turriff East and West. Channels for water supply from Grampians storages were completed during the mid-1920s.


Address:2118 Sunraysia Highway, Turriff, 3488
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.455641
Long: 142.471091
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Monument Manufacturer:Halls Memorial (Mildura, VIC)


Front Inscription

Turriff & District Pioneers

[ Names ]

In 1901 the first settlers came to the
Mallee, where the town was later named
TURRIFF after Mr John Turriff
manager of Corrong Station.
There was no permanent water,
no telephone, roads were just sandy tracks.
The Railway line was built in 1902 - 1903
through thick Mallee scrub, from Woomelang 
to Nowingi.  The SEC power came in 1964.
17000 klms of open channel was constructed
by horse teams and scoops, which brought
water to the Mallee from storage in the
Grampians from 1912 completed early 1920.
Channels ran once a year to fill dams.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design