www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Narrabri RSL War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

08-September-2020
08-September-2020

Photographs supplied by Henry Moulds

The monument commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved.

The monument is a stone structure, with brass and marble features, recessed lighting, topped by three flagpoles and flanked by cannons, and honour rolls commemorating those who served.  The ANZAC Centenary Grants Program contributed $9,100 towards the building of the monument. 

It was dedicated on the 15th March 2015 by the President of the RSL, Rear Admiral Ken Doolan, AO.

A committee of RSL sub branch and RSL club members, and community participants, wanted a more inclusive memorial, incorporating the names of those who have served in modern conflicts post-Vietnam War. The familiar, existing war memorial, built in 1979 and revamped in 1996 was removed.  It was replaced at the same site with a simple structure to provide a focal point, but the larger new memorial comprises 12 polished stone plinths, each bearing the names of former Narrabri district service people who have served in wars and peace keeping missions. 

Each plinth, about 1.5 metres high, bears the names of service people from World War One through to more recent conflicts and peace keeping missions including  Korea, Malaya, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan and East Timor, and the First Australian Armoured Division which trained in the Narrabri area in 1942. 
 

Location

Address:Maitland & Fitzroy Streets, RSL Memorial & Citizens Club, Narrabri, 2390
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.332367
Long: 149.78697
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Link:http://www.warmemorialsregister.nsw…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 15th March, 2015
Left Side Inscription
Lest We Forget
Back Inscription

Plaque :

This memorial was unveiled by the National President of the Returned and Services League of Australia Rear - Admiral Ken Doolan AO RAN (Ret`d) and dedicated by Reverend Tim Baxter on 15th March 2015

Plaque :

The 1st Australian Armoured Division

The 1st Australian Armoured Division, established in 1941 under the 2nd AIF, was the first major armoured formation in Australian history.  The Division was created with the aim of being utilised on the Middle East but its role became one of continental defence when Japan entered the was in December 1941.

In August 1942, under the command of Major General Horace `Red Robbie` Robertson, the 1st and 2nd Armoured Brigade, as well as the Support Group to the Division, concentrated in the Narrabri region.  The aim was to complete a series of exercises enabling the 20,000 men of the Division to become a coherent and effective fighting unit.

Over the course of two months locals witnessed an awesome display of armour, with Stuart and Grant tanks, as well as armoured cars, becoming standard viewing on roads and in paddocks surrounding the region.  It remains, to this day, the largest series of exclusively Australian military exercises carried out on Australian soil.

In November 1942, it was announced that the Division was to be reorganised.  The remaining troops of the 1st Armoured Brigade were entrained at Gunnedah from November 1942 and sent west.  The Division was eventually disbanded in Western Australia in September 1943.

We remember those who lost their lives whilst training

[ Names ]

 

 

 

Right Side Inscription
They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
Source: MA,SKP,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design